Amanda Kaiser, qualitative member researcher with Smooth the Path, has done more than 300 interviews with members of associations to understand their worries, challenges, problems and experiences with the association to determine why they engage or don’t engage. In doing so, she’s learned a few lessons and tips that she shares in this week’s session. She explains why the new member process is upside down. Early experiences with your association — whether it’s the first webinar, the first interaction with a staff person or the first conference they went to — leave a longer lasting impression on new members than you might think.
She and Beth discuss:
- How this information applies beyond associations
- The difference between features, benefits and value
- How to use Amanda’s 3-3-3 model of engagement
- Practicing imaginative empathy to help shape a new member’s experience
- Different tests for engagement based on stories Amanda has heard
- Why the emails you send new members matter
- Smooth the Path website
- Fueling Exceptional New Member Experiences: Strategies for Member Onboarding, Engagement, and Retention e-book
- Revisit episode 37 with Amanda: Rebranding Starts with Understanding your Community
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.