For nonprofits, it can often feel as though you are competing with other organizations for the same donors, which can feel selfish; after all, you’re all working to advance the common good. Marlee Honcoop has a solution: work together! Marlee helped coordinate “IL Give Big,” a Giving Tuesday campaign specifically for the nonprofits of Illinois. It began as an amalgamation of influences, bringing together grantwriters, nonprofit boards, consultants, and more. Between cooperation from the national Giving Tuesday campaign and allowing each participant in #ILGiveBig to work on their own area of expertise, the effort pumped out webinars, templates, and strategies for nonprofits to use. The centerpiece of their plan was pooling donations for a huge media buy – a move many nonprofits alone are not in the position to do. The benefits of their collaboration showed: the media buy reached over 500,000 people and brought in over 100 new nonprofits, culminating in a total of $3.9 million raised – all on a single day of giving.
Marlee and Beth discuss:
- Bringing nonprofits, funders, and consultants together
- How Illinois nonprofits used the state’s economic difficulty to come together
- Using national campaigns at a regional level
- Learning from collaboration with other nonprofits
- Finding the right ways to reach different audiences
- Motivating people and organizations to help the community, not themselves directly
- Email Marlee or connect on Twitter
- Donors Forum Website and IL Give Big Resource Center
- Planning to Win – campaign planning tool
- “Forces for Good” and “Good to Great” – books for better nonprofit management
- 92Y Page for Giving Tuesday
- Giving Tuesday-themed episodes of Driving Participation: with Jamie McDonald and Justin Ware
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.