Crowdfunding is growing as a way to finance projects, products, movies and ideas. The Canadian Society of Association Executives decided to try it as a funding experiment. Using Indegogo, they raised over $10,000 in under a month. Michael Anderson, CEO of CSAE joins Beth to explain how the crowdfunding process works from planning, marketing, and operational angles. He makes the point that crowdfunding isn’t collecting donations, it is getting an investment from people who want to see the benefit of your project. Most importantly, a crowdfunding project needs to have open communication within an organization so that staff, executives, boards, and constituents can rally around it.
Michael and Beth discuss:
- How crowdfunding differs from other funding options for projects
- The differences between fundraising and crowdfunding
- The intensive marketing required when starting a new project or product
- Planning that goes in to a project at different organizational levels
- Focusing on the supporters’ needs when developing a crowdfunding campaign
- Email Michael or connect on LinkedIn
- CSAE BoardREADY Card Deck – IndieGoGo Page
- Canadian Society of Association Executives Website and Twitter
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.