Your donors give in unique ways, and thanking them should be just as tailored. Lynne Wester, the Donor Relations Guru, talks about the importance of thanking your donors the right way and how to show “the attitude of gratitude.” She and Beth highlight the reasons why thanking your donors should not be combined with asking for more donations and why it’s critical to take that time to be grateful. Your “Thank You” letter to a donor for a donation should not include another ask for more money. Using storytelling and infographics are key ways to highlight the mission of your organization, but it shouldn’t always be about you: you have to focus on the donor, too.
- Why focusing on past behaviors instead of past amounts donated is more important
- Should segmenting be based on age, behavior, or something else?
- What is the best tactic to take action on first time donors?
- What information should you put on an impact site?
- What is a “doomsday approach,” and why doesn’t it work?
- How to show tailored appreciation to donors and why that makes such a difference
- Lynne’s website: www.donorrelationsguru.com
- Charity: water: https://www.charitywater.org
- TOMS shoes: www.toms.com
- TOMS Giving Report PDF
- “Donor Centered Fundraising” by Penelope Burk
- Adrian Sargeant “Donor Retention” PDF
- Resources Lynne mentioned on her website
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.