What is the first question to ask in an interview? And following up on that, how do you when to ask a follow up question and what the right question is? (See what we did there?) Amanda Kaiser of Kaiser Insights joins Beth this week to talk about how to fully understand the image your community sees of you, and how to mirror it by doing the right kind of research–one-to-one interviews. She has worked with branding and marketing, and she shares how to ask your community the right questions to find out how to connect with them. Sometimes, this method extends past just a survey. The most important questions when it comes to a rebranding campaign usually begin with “why,” and surveys cannot usually answer those as effectively.
She and Beth discuss:
- How can using the term ‘audience’ actually be bad?
- What research method is most effective when starting a rebranding campaign?
- What is the right kind of follow up question? And how do you when to ask it?
- When should you do a phone interview instead of a survey?
- What are some of the biggest mistakes people make when they jump into an interview with a member of their community on their own?
- Where is the distinction between a survey and qualitative research?
- Amanda’s blog: http://www.smooththepath.net
- Crayola: http://www.crayola.com
- Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
- Start With Why by Simon Sinek
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.