“…I think, to me, that participation when it’s considered synonymous with giving, helping, doing in some ways is just about making you feel good because you’re making your mark on your home, your city, your community, your world in whatever way is meaningful to you.” — Jamie McDonald, Network for Good
You’ve probably seen #GivingTuesday pop up on Twitter and in emails, but what is it? Learn more about it and the impact it can have for your organization this week from Chief Giving Officer of Network for Good and founder of GiveCorps, Jamie McDonald. She tells Beth more about the role of participation and how it differs for an individual and for an organization. Jamie shares a method organizations can use to reap the full benefits of Giving Tuesday, as long as they plan it right. She provides a plan and advice for those looking to participate, and explains why it’s important to start planning sooner rather than later. If an organization chose to participate in a giving day aside from Giving Tuesday, she explains how to make it fun and become a “party” for your cause. In this episode, explore:
- What is a “giving day”?
- How can technology become less impersonal for your organization? How can you utilize it to create connectedness?
- How can you use technology to cater to the specific age demographics of your donors?
- How to plan for Giving Tuesday to make it work most effectively for your organization
- Making an online campaign “fun”
- Can people “over communicate”? How can you make your communications be perceived as valuable?
- Online giving as a real way of connecting with people
- How Giving Tuesday can tap into a donor base you might not have had before
Jamie’s website: http://about.me/jamie.mcdonald
Network for Good: http://www1.networkforgood.org/
Giving Tuesday: http://www.givingtuesday.org/
Study about the average ages of donors: http://npengage.com/nonprofit-fundraising/11-facts-about-online-fundraising/
Article about the “helper’s high”: http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/headlines/jennifer-aaker-how-make-yourself-happy
PowerPoint presentation and more information on Giving Tuesday
And not mentioned on the podcast, but available for listeners: a free CUSTOMIZABLE social graphic from Nonprofit Toolkit
Enjoy Driving Participation! If the program is helpful to you, please subscribe in iTunes to have sessions sent to you as they go live. And please consider leaving a review in iTunes as well. Reviews help other organizations find the show and learn from these terrific stories.